Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Adding Texture & Dimension...

Last night on Facebook I gave this clue as to what I'd be blogging about today.


Did you Guess It?
Embossing Folders

Close To My Heart released a line of Embossing Folders last year and has added several new folders in the Annual Inspirations Idea Book.  Now, Embossing Folders are nothing new and I've been using them for years.  Not to date myself but do you remember Embossing Plates?  My first exposure and yes I was hooked.  What I want to tell you about is, "WHY I Like Them".  In one word "VERSATILITY"!

I love that you can take one pattern and apply several Papercrafting Techniques to give your projects a completely different look.  Let's look at these three projects I created for.


I've showcased three of CTMH's Embossing Folders and three Techniques.  BUT that's just the beginning...you have so many options!  Be sure to follow me on Pinterest, I have a board dedicated to Papercraft Tips & Techniques.

First, there is Basic Folder Embossing.  Place paper in embossing folder and run through an embossing machine, I use a Cuttlebug.  Texture is embedded into your paper, this at heart is the simplest and most basic form of folder embossing.  In this example I used Close To My Heart's Stripped Folder.


 Now let's take the same idea but enhance the image by applying an Ink Overlay.  Again, you begin by following the Basic Folder Embossing technique but take your embedded image and run an ink pad over the raised pattern.  The ink will adhere to the raised image leaving a nice contrast, giving you both texture and dimension.  Here's something to note about CTMH Embossing Folders, they have a slit in the top of the folder that allows you to create a full length boarder for Scrapbook projects.  Also, as in this mini card I only wanted the front embossed so I was able to position the card through the slit and place the embossing just where I wanted it.  In this card I used the Chevron Embossing Folder  and My Exclusive Inks Cranberry.  I just love how this card resembles a composition notebook.
 
The third technique I am going to share highlights Distressing.  Begin by using the Basic technique.  Once you have your embossed image gently rub sandpaper over the image exposing the white core of Close To My Hearts Cardstock.  After I sanded the raised pattern, I took it one step further and used my scissors to distress the edges of the paper.  For this card I used the Dot Embossing Folder and the CTMH Sanding Kit.


See three completely different looks using Embossing Folders.  Hope you enjoyed this overview and that you too will try a new technique with Embossing Folders.  It really does add Texture and Dimension to you project taking it from Ordinary to Extraordinary!

Happy Creating!

No comments:

Post a Comment